Do you have any questions about e-mobility and the SWIO wallbox? We have tried to provide answers to the most frequently asked and important questions. Browse the list below, and if you still have some queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- I want to charge my vehicle safely and efficiently with 11 kW.
- I want to install my charging station outside. The equipment is suitable for this purpose, but you cannot restrict access.
All the other features of the Pro charging station are not available with the SWIO Basic and cannot be retrofitted. The charging cable is not supplied.
- I use my vehicle for professional purposes for which I want to view and export documentation on all my recharging times, e.g. to obtain a reimbursement from my employer – backend integration via OCPP 1.6 and SIM card
- I want to view statistics on my recharging (energy consumption) and export the data – web interface
- The charging station requires a network connection, an Internet connection via WiFi or a SIM card to ensure the stable transmission of data
- I want to install the charging station externally, with restricted access – access via RFID, standard IP56 (protection from dirt, dust or water ingress)
- I have, or plan to acquire, a photovoltaic system and want to connect my charging station – coupling via the Modbus communication protocol
- I would like to make the use of the charging station easier – integrated 7 m cable
- I live in a building where I am planning to install a second charging station at a later date: suitable for use in residential buildings and which enables the charging station to be coupled with other charging stations using a load management system.
I can order my SWIO charging station via one of the commercial partners or myself via the web shop on www.swio.lu. In the event of a negative homecheck, I will only pay the costs incurred from this service. If the homecheck is positive, the costs will not be included in the service package and will not be billed separately.
Our SWIO team will contact you no later than two working days after you register your order for a homecheck on the date you have chosen.
During the homecheck we assess the conditions on site and the feasibility of the project. Once the homecheck has been carried out, the parties sign the SWIO installation contract. If the necessary installation work exceeds the standard conditions, any additional costs will be transparently communicated to you and added to the contract.
Our installation partner will send the request to the network manager to obtain authorisation to install the charging station.
The homecheck uses professional expertise to ascertain whether an installation is technically feasible. The charging stations are also prepared prior to installation in accordance with the local conditions.
If the installation of a SWIO Wallbox is technically not feasible or not allowed by the legislator, you will not be charged for the home check. This also applies if the installation involves additional costs that exceed the standard conditions. The costs of the Homecheck are always included in the total price of the installation package.
After installation, you will receive your overall invoice. Once we have received your payment, you will be sent all the documents required to apply for your public subsidy.
SWIO offers a 2-year warranty on your charging station from the date of commissioning.
In the event of a fault in the charging station or any other element, the customer/seller can contact email@example.com with a description of the defect. SWIO will then inform the customer of the next steps.
Private individuals must fulfil the following requirements:
- Individuals – owners or users of an eligible site
- New charging station
- Charging mode 3 of the charging station
- Purchase between 1st July 2020 and 30th June 2023
- Site situated on Luxembourg territory
- Maximum charging power limited to 11 kW and installed by an electrician
- One site per housing unit is eligible
- No financial assistance in the event of commercial operation or resale
For more information, please visit guichet.lu
TAB (Technische Anschlußbedingungen) = technical connection conditions for high-power installations with rated voltage of up to 1,000V
- Mandatory connection to the Smart Meter (Creos electricity meter) for terminal devices from a permanent power source ≥ 7 kW/400
- Temporary power reduction: a minimum of 30% for device power ≥ 7 kW or a minimum of 50% for device power ≥ 11 kW
- Activation of the relay by the network operator (Creos) must enable the required reduction in power within 30 seconds
- Total disconnection of consumers must be guaranteed if a reduction in power is not possible for technical reasons
- The competent network operator (Creos) can check if the installation complies with the TAB!
Yes, given that the SWIO Pro is required for use in a residential building.
The SWIO team will need the contact details of the property management body responsible for the residential building, including the meter number.
We then carry out the following tasks from this point:
- Contact the property management body to notify them of the resident’s request
- Ascertain via the property management body if other residents would be interested
- On-site visit with the installation partner to assess the local conditions, then request the e-mobility reserve from the grid operator (e-mobility reserve = total capacity available for charging electric vehicles)
- Project design adapted to the needs of the property management body and the e-mobility reserve
With a 380 V socket, the cables may be incorrectly sized and therefore present a risk of melting the electrical cables. In addition, a socket cannot regulate vehicle charging power and has no safety components, e.g. a ground-fault circuit interrupter. The connectivity functions of a SWIO Pro terminal cannot be used owing to the absence of a communication device unless a WiFi cable is retrofitted.
Charging times take five times longer with a mobile charger plugged into a domestic socket than with a charging station.
A mobile charger plugged into an industrial socket (380 V) enables users to achieve charging capacities similar to those of a charging station. However, mobile chargers are not eligible for government subsidies. Among others, they do not perform the connectivity functions of the SWIO Pro terminal, and the cable does not have DC fault current detection or other similar safety components
Yes, if the plug-in hybrid is driven regularly powered by electricity, the respective charger will be subject to frequent loads, and a typical household socket is not designed for this. With a charging power of up to 7.4 kW, the hybrid can fully exploit the power of the charging station, unlike the 2.3 kW of the domestic socket. Permanent charging via a domestic socket poses a considerable risk, even causing the cables to burn in older domestic installations.
- Installer partners who specialise in the installation of charging stations guarantee that the charging station connection complies with the provisions of the TAB (Technische Anschlußbedingungen = technical connection conditions)
- Our installer partners have been trained and qualified by the manufacturer in the installation of SWIO charging stations exclusively for the Luxembourg market
- You will require a certified electrician to apply for authorisation to commission the charging station
- Our installation partners are coordinated by the SWIO team and provide a professional service on our behalf
- In the event of a complex installation, we will notify you of the additional costs transparently during the homecheck, with no hidden costs
- Our installation partner carries out all the mandatory technical testing to comply with the essential acceptance of the grid operator
- Our installation partner carries out all the maintenance and repair work
- The granting of a government subsidy is subject exclusively to an acceptance certificate issued by a certified electrician.
Yes, installations in border regions (France, Belgium and Germany) are possible, but installation costs may vary from standard Luxembourg prices.